Wednesday, March 6, 2019

But the Western Stars

But the Western Stars

Philippine literature , But the western stars by Angela Manalang Gloria



But the Western Star


by Angela Manalang Gloria


Set me adrift on the bay tonight,
Tonight when the gray winds blow;
Over the waves to the western stars
My banca and I must go.

You would have built me an altar here
Where lingers the wave-born dew,
And I would have taken the silver dusk
To gather young dreams for you.

But the western lagoons and the lonely stars -
They whisper across the sea,
And I must away to a misty shore
That calls through the dark to me.

Then set me adrift on the bay tonight --
Tonight when the sad winds blow,
And over the waves to the western stars
Evening and I will go.


Angela Manalang-Gloria was born in Guagua, Pampanga. She was a well - known lyric poet during the commonwealth period. Her works were known to have romantic vocabularies. She reveals her own image and feelings in her works.

1 comment:

  1. During my school days i memorize this poet. It is always in my mind the first paragraph so i can teach also to my grandkids. Im now st sge 55 but never forget this

    ReplyDelete