Sunday, March 3, 2019

The Widow

The Widow

Philippine literature, The Widow by Lourdes H. Vidal



The Widow


by Lourdes H. Vidal



Lourdes H. Vidal Region 3 – Pampanga
Vidal writes in three languages: Kapangpangan, Tagalog, and English. She taught in the English and Filipino departments of the Ateneo de Manila University. She has a collection of her own poems, entitles Uttirly Woman (1993). She has lately been writing "alternative romances" in Filipino.

My Husband left me
He ran out abruptly
Upsetting everything
In our little hut.

Now I sit alone
With no work left
But a flood of quivering threads,
Tangled together
Like a weaving loom,
Widow:
Why have you left me?
Things do not seem right
here in our little home.

Carefully in my mind
I must raise the loom,
Arrange each single thread
And silently work
On a changing pattern
Of circles and squares
That seem alike.

No comments:

Post a Comment