Sunday, March 3, 2019

Vanity

Vanity

Philippine literature, Vanity by Trinidad Tarrosa-Subido



Vanity


by Trinidad Tarrosa-Subido



~~~
We call her Foreign Woman, God...
Burnished copper dusts are glinting from her hair;
White as the tropic sky her face; her eyes sea-blue;
Like the silver of a levant star her smile.
My eyes are dark and, too, my hair;
And brown the flesh that shrouds my soul;
If I should die tonight and be reborn;
O, lord Creator, make me too
A Foreign Woman to my native land.

~~~
Trinidad Tarrosa-Subido(1912-1993) NCR Manila
She was born in Shanghais of Filipino parents, but grew up in Manila. She supported herself through four years of College at UP, where she graduated with a bachelor's degree in 1936, cum laude. She is best known for her poems in English, specially her sonnets. She and her husband Abelardo jointly collected poems in a work titled Two Voices in 1945. She also became a writer and editor of the Feminist Movement in the Philippines, 1905-1955.

No comments:

Post a Comment